Virtualization allows multiple guest operating systems to run on a single hardware platform. This provides tremendous flexibility, portability of systems among hardware, and cost-effective sharing of hardware resources. In this video, learn about the security issues surrounding virtualization, including snapshots, patching, host availability, elasticity, security control testing, and sandboxing.
- [Instructor] Virtualization is taking…data centers by storm.…Between public and private cloud computing,…a significant portion of the world's servers…are now virtualized.…Virtualization technology allows…multiple guest operating systems to run…on a single hardware platform.…This provides tremendous flexibility,…the portability of systems among hardware,…and the cost effective sharing of hardware resources.…Now, let's take a look at the host security issues…that you'll need to tackle in a virtualized environment.…
One of the most powerful tools…granted by a virtualization platform…is the ability to quickly and easily snapshot systems.…Since a virtualized system doesn't have any actual hardware,…all it is is a file stored on a disk.…You can make a copy of that file just as you would…any other file and quickly have a copy of the entire system…that you can spin up as a new server.…Let me give that a try.…I'm running the Parallels virtualization platform on my Mac.…As you can see here, I have the guest machine installed…
Find the companion study books at the Sybex test prep site and review the complete CISSP Body of Knowledge at https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx.
Note: This course is part of a series releasing throughout 2018. A complete learning path will be available once all the courses are released.
- Conducting investigations
- Reporting and documenting incidents
- Continuous security monitoring
- Preventing data loss and theft
- Asset management
- Change management
- Virtualization security
- Security principles: need to know, separation of duties, and more
- Building an incident response program
- Personnel safety and emergency management