Attackers have many different tools and techniques at their fingertips and information security professionals must maintain awareness of the changing threat landscape. In this video, learn about different attack types as well as the use of diagramming and reduction analysis to help identify potential attacks against information systems.
- [Narrator] After identifying potential threats…to an information system,…security analysts should move on to the next phase…of the threat modeling process:…considering the possible attacks to each system.…Let's take a look at the various types…of attacks that may be used against information systems.…Microsoft uses the STRIDE model…to help categorize attacks.…This model is a helpful starting point…when you are trying to identify the attacks…that may be used against any particular system.…Each letter in the word STRIDE represents…a different category of attack.…
S stands for spoofing.…Spoofing attacks used falsified identity information…to gain access to a system.…This may be as simple as a social engineering attack…that fakes the senders name on an email address…or it may be more complicated…and involve spoofing IP addresses, MAC addresses,…wireless network names,…or any other claim of identity.…The best control against spoofing…is using strong authentication.…T stands for tampering.…
Tampering attacks make unauthorized changes…
- Risk management actions
- Ongoing risk management
- Risk management frameworks
- Scanning for threats and vulnerabilities
- Advanced vulnerability scanning
- Monitoring log files
- Code review and code tests
- Test coverage analysis
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/18/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover identifying threats, understanding attacks, technology and process remediation, remediating vulnerabilities, and security monitoring. In addition, the following topics were updated: risk management and monitoring log files.
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Risk Management
2. Threat Modeling
3. Threat Assessment
4. Remediating Vulnerabilites
5. Security Monitoring
6. Software Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.