- Troubleshooting BIOS is kind of a misnomer…because that implies that BIOS breaks.…BIOS doesn't really break.…What happens to BIOS is that we misconfigure it…and mess it up.…So, what I want to talk about are…some of the things that we do to BIOS and how to fix them.…One of the most common things we do for starters,…is we go into the system's setup…and we start messing around with settings in there.…If you change the boot order of your drives,…you can keep the system from booting.…You can type in a user password…and then forget what you typed in.…
There's a lot of things you can do…and you can cause a lot of trouble.…So, when that takes place, the first thing you can do,…if you can, is to get back into your system setup,…and somewhere in there is going to be…a restore to optimal defaults, or restore to base defaults…or something, you can go in there and it will…pretty much reset itself, and your system…will at least be boot-able.…It may not be perfect, but it'll be pretty much ready to go.…The other big issue, are the supervisor and user passwords.…
The CompTIA A+ 220-901 exam is comprised of six key parts. The first, core processing, is covered by this course. Instructor Mike Meyers explains the fundamentals of PCs, microprocessors, RAM, and BIOS. He also shows you how to set up, connect, maintain, and troubleshoot the main components of a computer.
Note: The six courses designed for the CompTIA A+ (220-901) exam preparation include core processing, core hardware, peripherals and building a PC, displays and printers, networking, and laptops and mobile devices.
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- How do personal computers (PCs) work?
- What is a central processing unit (CPU)?
- When is random access memory (RAM) used?
- What is a basic input/output system (BIOS)?
- Installing a CPU
- Working with extensions and sockets
- Troubleshooting RAM
- Setting up a BIOS