Software code may be used as evidence in an investigation and software forensic techniques may be used to analyze that software in an effort to render an expert opinion. In this video, learn how software forensic techniques may be used to draw evidentiary conclusions.
- [Narrator] Software code may be used…as evidence in an investigation,…and software forensic techniques…may be used to analyze that software…in an effort to render an expert opinion.…There are two major uses of software forensics…in today's cybersecurity environment.…First, software forensics are often used…to help resolve intellectual property…disputes between parties.…This is a very common occurrence in civil disputes,…and software forensic specialists…are often used in court to testify…about the origins of software code.…
For example, suppose a key software developer…leaves a company and accepts a position at a competitor.…The competitor may then later release…a new product version that includes features…very similar to the first company's product.…The first company may accuse the competitor…of using the newly hired software developer to steal code.…The competitor may respond that they independently developed…the new feature without any help from the new hire…or access to the competitor's software code.…
Software forensics experts may analyze the code…
- Building an incident response program
- Escalation and notification
- eDiscovery process
- Conducting investigations
- System and file forensics
- Reporting and documenting incidents
- Business continuity planning
- Validating backups
- Testing BC/DR plans
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 06/01/2018. What changed?
A: We updated three videos, covering creating an incident response program, communications plan, and response team.
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
1. Incident Management
2. Investigations and Forensics
3. Business Continuity
4. Disaster Recovery
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.