Join Ryan Spence for an in-depth discussion in this video Set up two-factor authentication, part of Learning Mobile Device Security.
- [Instructor] Two-factor authentication is not a popular option, but it is, without a doubt, the most secure option for protecting your data. The two factors are often thought of as something you know, such as a password, and something you have, such as a phone number or an email address. What you know is the same each time. What you have is new each time. If you have a Google Play account and a mobile device, then you should be using two-factor authentication. Let's take a look how to set it up for Android use. Here I'm logged into the account.google.com as my Billy Theadult.
I'm going to go down to Signing in to Google and over to 2-Step Verification, notice that it's off, and I will select this direction. It's going to tell me a little bit about the protections I get with two-step verification. I'm going to select GET STARTED. I'm going to sign into my account, and select Next. Now, since I'm signed into my account on the Google Pixel 3, it recognizes the device. I have it with me, so I'm going to go ahead, scroll down, and select TRY IT NOW. On my device, I get a notification.
I'm going to select yes in the notification, and once Google has verified it, it takes me to this page. That's the phone number registered with my account, and I'm going to leave it at Text message to verify, and I'm going to say SEND. I've received the Google verification code, I will enter it now, and select NEXT. Before I turn it on, I want to verify that these are the steps I want to take. I'll get a prompt, as a second step, and a voice or text message as a backup option, and it's set up for this account, and sent to that device.
Now I'll turn it on. Great, these are the facts of the two-step verification. I will need both of these devices with me whenever I want to sign in.
- Recognize two risks that accompany mobile devices.
- Recall the steps you should take to prepare a mobile phone for resale.
- Name three causes of an unrecognizable fingerprint scan.
- Identify two options available when setting up device administrators.
- Explore storage settings to maximize space on your mobile device.
- Explain how the location services tool finds a missing device.