In this video, Marc Menninger describes the tools and resources one should select when planning a technical security assessment. Discover the different tools and resources that are appropriate depending on the testing techniques used in the assessment.
- When planning a technical security assessment,…determining which tools and resources to use…will be an important consideration.…The tools and resources which get selected…will depend on the testing techniques being used…in the assessment.…For instance, if vulnerability scanning is one…of the testing techniques, then the assessment team…may select OpenVAS for the scanning tool.…If the assessment team is a third party, or made up…of traveling assessors, the primary testing platforms…may be robust laptops built to handle the processing…and memory requirements of all the necessary…tools and operating systems.…
Internal assessors may have dedicated testing servers…and appliances staged within the organization's network…to centrally execute and manage security assessments.…Whenever using technical testing tools and software,…it's important to keep them current with the latest versions…and malware or vulnerability signatures if necessary.…Prior to conducting any security tests,…the assessors must ensure that all operating systems…
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.