In this video, Mandy Huth discusses the scope of GDPR. Learn about GDPR's objectives, impacted organizations, relevant data and systems, as well as exclusions. Learn about personal data.
- [Instructor] Understanding what is covered…by GDPR is important because many people…outside the European Union don't know…if this regulation applies to them or not.…As we talk about GDPR, we want to look…at the different components of this regulation.…Its objective is to enable the safe transfer of data…and how to process it.…In terms of organizations that are in scope,…every organization doing business…with the European Union is in scope,…no matter their size or their industry.…
In terms of data, any personal data…that is being collected, analyzed, stored, et cetera,…is included in this regulation.…As for the systems included, any system,…whether it's automated or manual, will require data mapping…and is included under this tenant.…In terms of exclusions,…personal data that is needed by law enforcement,…or for national security would not…be covered under this regulation.…
What makes someone unique, or makes them an individual?…Personal data is anything that can identify someone…as a natural person.…Please note, personal data does not precisely match a term…
DISCLAIMER: Neither LinkedIn nor the instructor represents you, and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. Certain concepts may not apply in all countries. The views (and legal interpretations) presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- Compliance deadlines and penalties
- Data controllers and data processors under GDPR
- Exploring the role of the data protection office
- Technical measures outlined in the GDPR
- Reviewing the right to be forgotten and the situations that allow erasure
- Rules for children under the age of 16
- Breach notification