In this video, Marc Menninger describes how to scan devices for vulnerabilities. Learn about network vulnerability scanners and how to operate them. Discover why reports generated during vulnerability scanning are so useful for penetration testing.
- After network devices have been discovered,…important services have been identified,…the next step is to scan the devices for vulnerabilities.…This is accomplished with applications…designed to find outdated software, missing patches,…and misconfigurations on target systems.…Vulnerability scanners can also be used to…validate system compliance with internal…configuration standards or external security standards,…such as the ISO/IEC 27001.…
Vulnerability scanners are primarily pattern…or signature-based.…That means they check the current state of systems…for known vulnerabilities as published…in reliable sources like the Common Vulnerabilities…and Exposures Database.…One of the advantages of signature-based…vulnerability scanners is that results are consistent…because the patterns the software is checking for…either exist or they don't.…However, because new vulnerabilities…are frequently discovered, the signature database…in the software must be updated frequently.…
If vulnerability-scanning software isn't kept up to date,…
- Developing technical security assessments
- Conducting technical security reviews
- Identifying and analyzing targets
- Validating target vulnerabilities
- Planning a technical assessment
- Conducting a technical assessment
- Implementing remediation and mitigation
Skill Level Intermediate
IT Security Careers and Certifications: First Stepswith Marc Menninger2h 6m Appropriate for all
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.