Vulnerability assessment tools automate the process of vulnerability scanning. In this video, learn about the use of scanning tools, including port scanners and vulnerability scanners, along with banner grabbing as a scanning technique.
- [Narrator] Testing systems for security issues…is one of the most important tasks performed…by security professionals, but it can be a little tedious.…Security analysts must test for vulnerabilities…because if they don't hackers will.…You're much better off if you discover…an issue and correct it than if an attacker…discovers it and exploits it.…Fortunately, vulnerability assessment tools automate…the process of vulnerability scanning.…There are three major categories of these tools,…port scanners, which simply probe…a system for open network ports,…vulnerability scanners, which check…those ports for known vulnerabilities,…and application scanners that probe deep…into web applications to detect flaws.…
Port scanners are the equivalent of rattling all…the doorknobs on a server, looking for unlocked doors.…They check all of the possible 65,535 network ports…on a server to see which ones might be open.…The most popular port scanning tool…is a program called Nmap.…Let's give it a try.…I'm going to go ahead and run Nmap…
- Risk management actions
- Ongoing risk management
- Risk management frameworks
- Scanning for threats and vulnerabilities
- Advanced vulnerability scanning
- Monitoring log files
- Code review and code tests
- Test coverage analysis
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/18/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover identifying threats, understanding attacks, technology and process remediation, remediating vulnerabilities, and security monitoring. In addition, the following topics were updated: risk management and monitoring log files.
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Risk Management
2. Threat Modeling
3. Threat Assessment
4. Remediating Vulnerabilites
5. Security Monitoring
6. Software Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.