In this video, Marc Menninger describes different techniques for validating target vulnerabilities. Learn the different skillsets required to execute these techniques and detect vulnerabilities.
- So you've found some vulnerabilities…in the previous stages.…Now what?…Well, it's time to validate them.…In this chapter, I'll cover three techniques…useful for validating target vulnerabilities.…These techniques are cracking passwords,…conducting penetration tests,…and conducting social engineering.…Here are some baseline skill sets…for each of these techniques.…For cracking passwords,…an assessor has to know how hashing and salting works.…
In other words, he will need to understand how…passwords are created and stored on operating systems.…Understanding how automated password crackers work…and different password attacks like dictionary…and brute force attacks is also important.…Conducting penetration tests requires a deep understanding…of TCPIP networking, common operating systems,…as well as advanced knowledge of system and network…vulnerabilities and exploits.…
He should be familiar with security exploit tools…and know how to use them to discover and gain access…to target systems.…The assessor must also know how security monitoring…
- Developing technical security assessments
- Conducting technical security reviews
- Identifying and analyzing targets
- Validating target vulnerabilities
- Planning a technical assessment
- Conducting a technical assessment
- Implementing remediation and mitigation
Skill Level Intermediate
IT Security Careers and Certifications: First Stepswith Marc Menninger2h 6m Appropriate for all
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.