- RAM aka memory is the temporary storage…where programs run on your system.…So when we're talking about processing a program,…programs come off of your hard drive…while they're running they're sitting here on RAM…and then they're being processed through the CPU itself.…Any return data comes back to RAM,…and it isn't until you hit file, save…that the data actually goes from RAM back to the hard drive.…RAM's important, today's systems need somewhere…in the area of, well it depends on your CPU…and your operating system, but you'll see…anything from as low as half a gigabyte…to eight to 16 gigabytes on today's system.…
Keep in mind it could be more or less than that,…but that's the main group of people right there.…So when we talk about RAM there are two big things…we discuss more than anything else.…We discuss capacity, how much RAM is in my hand,…and we talk about speed, how fast is this RAM?…So when we hold an individual stick of RAM,…and that's the term we wanna use,…I have a stick of RAM in my hand,…we have to be able to recognize…
The CompTIA A+ 220-901 exam is comprised of six key parts. The first, core processing, is covered by this course. Instructor Mike Meyers explains the fundamentals of PCs, microprocessors, RAM, and BIOS. He also shows you how to set up, connect, maintain, and troubleshoot the main components of a computer.
Note: The six courses designed for the CompTIA A+ (220-901) exam preparation include core processing, core hardware, peripherals and building a PC, displays and printers, networking, and laptops and mobile devices.
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- How do personal computers (PCs) work?
- What is a central processing unit (CPU)?
- When is random access memory (RAM) used?
- What is a basic input/output system (BIOS)?
- Installing a CPU
- Working with extensions and sockets
- Troubleshooting RAM
- Setting up a BIOS