Join Marc Menninger for an in-depth discussion in this video Penetration testing tool demo, part of Performing a Technical Security Audit and Assessment.
- [Narrator] To show an example of penetration testing,…I'll go to the Kali Linux system,…and use a tool called Sparta.…Recall that you can use Sparta…to conduct port and service discovery on a target system.…I've already run Sparta against a metasploitable system,…and the discovered services and ports…are listed in the services tab.…Sparta has gathered a lot of information…about the metasploitable system,…which is organized into these tabs across the top.…I see one of the tabs is called my sequel default.…
Sparta ran a tool called Hydra,…which looked for default or common user names and passwords…on the my sequel database.…We see in the details that it attempted to find the password…for the root account on my sequel,…and it says, "One valid password found."…Since there is no password listed,…that indicates that the password is blank.…Let's confirm that.…I'll go back to the services tab…and find the port associated with my sequel,…which is 3306.…
When I right-click on that port,…I see many options to further explore this service.…
- Developing technical security assessments
- Conducting technical security reviews
- Identifying and analyzing targets
- Validating target vulnerabilities
- Planning a technical assessment
- Conducting a technical assessment
- Implementing remediation and mitigation
Skill Level Intermediate
IT Security Careers and Certifications: First Stepswith Marc Menninger2h 6m Appropriate for all
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.