In this video, Mandy Huth breaks down Article 33 of GDPR. Learn the definition of a personal data breach, timing for notification, what information is required with notification, and notifying data subjects.
- [Instructor] Article 33 of GDPR outlines…the circumstances when, and the timing for notifications…in case of a breach.…The regulation outlines that if a data subject's rights…of data privacy are at risk,…an organization is required to notify them…about the situation.…It is always better to err on the side of caution,…and this proves a proactive prudent action…on behalf of the organization.…What is a data breach then?…The security tenants of confidentiality,…integrity and availability apply here.…
If data is impacted anywhere during the process,…and it impacts a data subject's privacy,…it should be considered a breach.…This is not only about data theft.…It can be data spills as well.…If a processor becomes aware of a potential breach,…the clock starts.…This occurs if there is a reasonable degree of certainty…that a breach has occurred.…This also includes if the processor is separate…from the controller.…At this point, the controller's clock begins as well,…as they are ultimately accountable for the data.…
It's important to note, no notification is required…
DISCLAIMER: Neither LinkedIn nor the instructor represents you, and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. Certain concepts may not apply in all countries. The views (and legal interpretations) presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- Compliance deadlines and penalties
- Data controllers and data processors under GDPR
- Exploring the role of the data protection office
- Technical measures outlined in the GDPR
- Reviewing the right to be forgotten and the situations that allow erasure
- Rules for children under the age of 16
- Breach notification