Join David Linthicum for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Learning Cloud Computing: Cloud Governance.
- [Instructor] So let's talk about next steps. Where do you go from here? Well, what's important is that if you're moving to the cloud, you need this stuff to work. So governance is not something that's optional, it's absolutely mandatory, if you are going to make cloud work in the long run. And so of course security is part of the play, and monitoring and management. You know, other things we cover in courses here on cloud computing. So, the name of the game is automation to protect our cloud-based systems from ourselves mostly. So this is about protecting ourselves from human mistakes.
This is about putting guardrails around existing processes. This is about, in essence, automating mistakes out of the existing system. So, if someone's able to access a service, and they saturate the service, and therefore it's unavailable for other folks who are looking to access it, I blame the cloud governance system. It's not being set up or configured correctly to protect that service from that happening. And those sorts of things need to be addressed ongoing. So what now? Well, do focus on what needs to get done.
So again, the requirement stuff, that needs to be done first and foremost, get started today. Don't focus on the technology, it'll take you in wrong directions, until you're ready to look at it, and only after you understand what you are doing. Do hire the right people. They're hard to find, but a good cloud governance SME will be worth their weight in gold, and you need to get them onboard if you are looking to move in this direction. Don't get lost in the details. So, ultimately even though there are lost of details around, this is about making solid, strategic decisions, and how we're going to leverage the processes and leverage the technology correctly.
Do understand that this is an evolutionary process, and I can't stress that enough. So, we are in the light of Dev-Ops, an agile and other ways of going about picking technology, always looking to improve what's going on, and we never except the state as it is. We're always second guessing ourselves, second guessing the decisions that were made, and then making changes based on what we're finding. And so this continuously improving approach, is going to provide you with a real advantage, considering the fact that if you do make a mistake and there is a problem out there, it's going to discovered quickly and corrected, and no one's going to be to blame.
This is about working together as a group, working together and playing well other folks in the organization, to make this occur.
- Cloud governance basics
- Cloud resource governance
- How cloud security and governance are linked
- Defining governance policies
- Cloud management platform basics
- Reviewing service governance tools
- Cloud governance costs
- Understanding your requirements
- Finding the right tools
- Testing cloud governance
- How operations deals with governance