Join Marc Menninger for an in-depth discussion in this video Network ports and services discovery tool demo, part of Performing a Technical Security Audit and Assessment.
- [Voiceover] Let's look at…an example of a tool that can help…identify ports and services on network devices.…We'll go back to Sparta, which we used…in the network discovery video.…Sparta can run an nmap scan on all 6,535…ports for any device on the network.…Instead of running the full scan…on all those ports at once though,…it breaks the scan into stages.…This way, an assessor can start looking…at the results as they come in,…instead of waiting until the end of the entire scan.…
Before we start the scan, let's look…at which ports Sparta scans in each stage,…by looking at the Sparta dot conf file,…which is in the user, share, Sparta folder.…I'll go to the user, share, Sparta folder…and double click on Sparta dot conf.…Here we can see there are five nmap stages…in the staged nmap settings section.…The most common ports are scanned in the early stages,…including http, port 80, and https, in stage one.…
Sntp, port 25,…various data ports,…ports 1 4 3 3,…3 3 0 6,…5 4 3 2,…and Microsoft operating system ports,…ports 1 3 5, 1 3 7, 1 3 9,…
- Developing technical security assessments
- Conducting technical security reviews
- Identifying and analyzing targets
- Validating target vulnerabilities
- Planning a technical assessment
- Conducting a technical assessment
- Implementing remediation and mitigation
Skill Level Intermediate
IT Security Careers and Certifications: First Stepswith Marc Menninger2h 6m Appropriate for all
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.