Join Marc Menninger for an in-depth discussion in this video Network discovery tool demo, part of Performing a Technical Security Audit and Assessment.
- [Instructor] I'll use a tool called Network Miner…on a Windows system to demonstrate…passive network discovery.…This tool is free to download,…easy to use, and very effective…at passively detecting devices on the network.…To get started,…I'll open Network Miner as administrator…and select a network adapter.…Then, I'll click start.…Network Miner is now using it's network adapter…to listen for any network activity.…Since this demo network only has a few systems on it,…most of them will appear within a minute or two.…
I'll let the capture run for five minutes.…Now I'll stop the capture.…The address range of our network is 10 zero two zero…through 10 zero two 255,…so only devices with addresses…in that range are interesting to us…for the purpose of network discovery.…Looking at addresses in that range…discovered by the Network Miner software,…we see that several devices have been discovered.…Network Miner has also been able to discover…some basic information about the systems on the network,…such as the fact that we have…
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.