In this video, learn about the importance of log monitoring as a threat mitigation and deterrence control. This includes event logs, audit logs, security logs, and access logs along with reporting and alerting.
- [Instructor] Log monitoring is one…of the most important security controls…in the modern enterprise,…but it is also one of the most often overlooked.…Let's face it, log monitoring is not an exciting activity.…In fact, it's usually pretty dull…and, as such, the newest member…of any security team usually draws this short straw,…but log monitoring is incredibly important…because logs often contain critical information…that allows administrators to both detect security breaches…and penetration attempts,…and conduct analysis of events…that have already taken place.…
I'm going to show you how both Windows…and Linux systems record log entries.…Let's begin with the Windows Server.…You can access Windows logs…using a tool called Event Viewer.…When you open the Windows log folder in Event Viewer,…you see that logs are organized…into several different categories.…We're going to take a look at the application log,…the security log, and the system log.…The application log contains messages…from software running on the server.…
- Risk management actions
- Ongoing risk management
- Risk management frameworks
- Scanning for threats and vulnerabilities
- Advanced vulnerability scanning
- Monitoring log files
- Code review and code tests
- Test coverage analysis
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/18/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover identifying threats, understanding attacks, technology and process remediation, remediating vulnerabilities, and security monitoring. In addition, the following topics were updated: risk management and monitoring log files.
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Risk Management
2. Threat Modeling
3. Threat Assessment
4. Remediating Vulnerabilites
5. Security Monitoring
6. Software Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.