Join Donna Bower for an in-depth discussion in this video Medical identity theft, part of Cybersecurity Awareness: The Importance of Identity Protection.
- [Narrator] In an effort to protect against identity theft…many people focus on guarding their financial information.…While that information commonly leads to fraud,…it's becoming increasingly important for consumers…to be aware of how medical information can create…the most damage without them even realizing it.…A survey released by the Medical Identity Theft Alliance…earlier this year revealed that over two million Americans…have become victims of medical fraud.…Of those, 500,000 had experienced medical identity theft…in 2014 alone.…
Arm yourself with knowledge and a credit monitoring service…that can flag certain kinds of potentially fraudulent…activity on your credit file to stay one step ahead…of identity thieves.…In one example, Utah resident Andory Cromar found out…she had become a victim of medical identity theft…when Child Protective Services contacted her…about a baby she never had.…A case worker said that she was investigating Cromar…because the baby she'd had had tested positive…for methamphetamine, but Cromar hadn't given birth recently,…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by Mentor Source, Inc. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- History of identity theft
- Twelve ways to protect your identity
- The real cost of identity theft
- Medical identity theft
- What should you do when your identity is stolen?
- What can organizations do?
- Simple password protection
- Does your password pass?
- Managing your passwords