Security monitoring raises a series of legal and ethical issues. In this video, Mike Chapple explains the legal and privacy issues associated with collecting, storing, and analyzing security information in different jurisdictions.
- [Narrator] Security monitoring provides…Analysts with access to a wide variety of information.…Let's think for a moment about some…of the types of data that we have in our logs.…We might use a tool like Wireshark to sniff…network traffic, giving us real-time access…to packets that travel on the network.…We can use this access to reconstruct…a user's activity, and see everything…that they send and receive on the network.…We also have access to firewall logs that capture…connection activity to and from external systems.…
These logs give us an idea of the systems…involved in network communications.…Other log records provide other personal…and sensitive details about people's activity.…We might have access to the browsing history of users,…the contents of files that they store on servers,…personally identifiable information…about them stored in databases,…and geolocation information from mobile devices.…It's important to remember that just because we can…access this information doesn't mean that we should do so.…
- Risk management actions
- Ongoing risk management
- Risk management frameworks
- Scanning for threats and vulnerabilities
- Advanced vulnerability scanning
- Monitoring log files
- Code review and code tests
- Test coverage analysis
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/18/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover identifying threats, understanding attacks, technology and process remediation, remediating vulnerabilities, and security monitoring. In addition, the following topics were updated: risk management and monitoring log files.
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Risk Management
2. Threat Modeling
3. Threat Assessment
4. Remediating Vulnerabilites
5. Security Monitoring
6. Software Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.