In this video, Marc Menninger describes the legal considerations which should be factored into security assessment planning. Learn what information a legal agreement must include and how important they are, especially when organizations work with third party assessors.
- There's a lone warrior in assessment planning…that is often overlooked.…In fact, I really haven't talked much about it…but it's definitely something I need to address,…legal considerations.…These are especially important when organizations work…with third party assessors.…Why?…Because outside testers need to be made aware…of any rules they must follow.…Assessors also may want to protect themselves…by having the organization accept that limited issues…may arise as a result of testing.…
It's best that these requirements be captured…in legal agreements between the organization…and the testers.…Legal agreements may include limitations of liability…for the assessor,…non-disclosure agreements that prohibit the assessor from…sharing any of the organization's sensitive information,…privacy requirements that the assessor must follow,…and data handling requirements for the assessor.…Usually, the legal departments of both the…third party assessor and the requesting organization…will be involved in drafting agreements which are…
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.