Authenticity, or being what you would seem to be, is a critical element in the social realm, as shown by reactions to forgers, frauds, and imposters. In AI, this challenge arises when AI attempts to pass as human (as with the recent Google demo of its Assistant making phone calls) or when algorithms cause misleading information to be seen as real, as with videos faked with deep learning algorithms.
- [Instructor] I love movies,…but sometimes things don't work out…quite the way that they were supposed to.…One example of this is with animated movies,…which can be fabulous experiences,…except it turns out when the animation…gets a little too sophisticated.…As with motion capture and 3D modeling.…And things can fall into what's called the uncanny valley…and cause people to freak out.…You may not be familiar with the uncanny valley,…but what this is is a way of describing the way…that people react.…
It was originally developed for robots,…but it applies to animation…and really just about anything artificial…that might attempt to replicate something that's alive.…And what you see here is that the object comes to resemble…a human more and more as it goes across the right…the familiarity and the likability both increase,…except when the resemblance becomes nearly,…but not quite perfect,…then to many people it suddenly drops down…and it becomes creepy and maybe even repulsive.…
And that's the feeling I personally get…
- Bias in AI
- Navigating the social challenges of AI
- Moral reasoning and relational ethics
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and AI
- Discrimination in data
- Liability and AI
- AI in life-and-death situations
- Confronting the challenges of AI as a developer, executive, and consumer
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Context for AI
2. Technical Challenges of AI
3. Social Challenges of AI
4. Legal Challenges of AI
5. Safety Challenges of AI
AI in the military4m 36s
6. Confronting the Challenges of AI
Next steps2m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.