The goal of digital forensics is to collect, preserve, analyze, and interpret digital evidence in support of an investigation. This includes everything from pulling data from a smartphone or laptop to analyzing network traffic logs. In this video, learn the basic concepts of computer forensics, including order of volatility, video capture, recording time offset, using witnesses, and tracking time and expenses.
- [Instructor] Information security professionals…often find themselves asked to participate…in many different types of investigations.…In some cases, these are purely technical investigations…of security incidents or other unusual circumstances.…In other cases, security professionals may be called upon…to assist law enforcement or other authorities…in criminal and civil court cases.…When asked to participate in the evaluation…of electronic evidence,…security professionals engage in a field…known as digital forensics.…
The goal of digital forensics is to collect,…preserve, analyze, and interpret digital evidence…in support of an investigation.…This includes everything from pulling data…from a smartphone or laptop…to analyzing network traffic logs.…Digital forensic investigators have a wide variety…of tools and techniques at their disposal…and must follow some basic principles…when working with evidence.…One of the most important guiding principles…of any forensic science…is that investigators must never take any action…
Find the companion study books at the Sybex test prep site and review the complete CISSP Body of Knowledge at https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx.
Note: This course is part of a series releasing throughout 2018. A complete learning path will be available once all the courses are released.
- Conducting investigations
- Reporting and documenting incidents
- Continuous security monitoring
- Preventing data loss and theft
- Asset management
- Change management
- Virtualization security
- Security principles: need to know, separation of duties, and more
- Building an incident response program
- Personnel safety and emergency management