The hazards of removing time to plan are presented in this final video as we add the importance of early involvement if IT to big picture perspective.
- [Instructor] I wanted to use this topic…to wrap up this chapter and the course as whole…because everything we've talked about regarding…site planning can only be achieved…if the IT strategist is involved early.…The biggest challenge faced by IT today…is not the race between new devices and new needs…the biggest challenge is that IT is often…brought in too late to really capitalize on their expertise.…Someone had a great idea and expects that IT can…step in at the last minute and just make magic happen.…
I blame my colleagues in IT for this.…For decades, you've been stepping up…and getting the job done and doing it well enough…that the business world has come to expect that as the norm.…That's the good part.…The challenge with this approach is,…while the job gets done, it's needlessly wasteful.…Much like the earlier discussion…on the big picture, it uses time poorly and it costs more…in overtime and last minute needs.…It also puts a drain on II's reputation…when the project runs over on time…or may still have too many bugs.…
- Including IT in strategy
- What does IT bring to strategy?
- Communicating the big picture
- Selecting and evaluating the effectiveness of training and development activities
- Choosing the right hardware, platforms, and applications
- Who owns the devices?
- Site planning
- External and internal connectivity