- It's interesting. I've been in the field for about 20 years, and it started when I was an undergraduate. I was a computer science major when I studied at Notre Dame, and during that time I pick up a book called Practical UNIX and Internet Security written by a gentleman named Gene Spafford, whose actually one of the pioneers of information security. And read the book, and I was just hooked on the field. I found it fascinating. It was very much a new field, at the time. And something that really wasn't a big deal. You think back to the mid-1990s, not many people were thinking about security yet.
There were some internet security professionals, mostly in the government, and in the military, and those sectors, and it hadn't gone mainstream. I was in Air Force ROTC also while I was an undergraduate, and I had the good fortune of when I left my undergraduate studies going into a position in the Air Force where I was able to work in information security with the National Security Agency. So, I did some research there, and worked on some of the early intrusion detection systems, and that technology that the NSA was developing, at the time.
And after spending a few years at the NSA, I moved into private industry, and was a consultant, and now I've been back at Notre Dame for the past 12 years.
- How does one break into the cybersecurity field?
- What are the various career tracks?
- How do organizations prevent a security breach?
- What are the compliance issues?
- Who is responsible for security in the cloud?
- How does IT security impact other business divisions?
These are the kinds of insights that can help you explore a new career, focus on a course of study, or even prepare for an interview.
- Recognize the priority levels of the different types of cybersecurity risks.
- Recall three common responsibilities for cybersecurity professionals.
- Identify strategies for minimizing the impact of a security incident.
- Name three cornerstones of the information security profession.
- Explain the primary objective of cybersecurity professionals.
- Determine when it is appropriate to utilize encryption to protect information.