HIPAA is legislation that governs data privacy and security practices that safeguard patient medical information in U.S medical facilities. It is also concerned with the reporting of any breach.
- [Narrator] The Health Insurance Portability…and Accountability Act, or HIPAA,…is also called the privacy rule.…This deals with making sure organizations,…or covered entities, provide security and privacy…of all electronic, protected, health information.…HIPPA is a set of security standards…that began in 1996 in the US.…Prior to that, there weren't any regulations…or generally accepted standards…to protect individuals' information.…
Most felt this was acceptable…as before 1996 most of the healthcare industry…was paper based with no automated processes…or electronic information.…In today's environment essentially everything is electronic,…including physician orders, health records…and billing requests.…All covered entities,…or anyone that deals with healthcare information,…must maintain the confidentiality, integrity,…and availability of the information…and abide by the standards…and maintain continuous, reasonable,…and appropriate security precautions.…
HIPPA has several guidelines that include;…identify and protect against any anticipated threats…
In this course, join Lisa Bock as she explores the relationship between security, privacy, and the IoT. Lisa discusses how the vulnerabilities in IoT devices have the potential to compromise user privacy and make them more susceptible to attacks and glitches. In addition, she discusses IoT privacy concerns; existing standards, regulations, and guidelines, such as HIPAA and Sarbanes-Oxley; and proposed standards and legislation that are currently in the works to ensure the privacy of the data collected on the IoT.
- Security, privacy, and the IoT
- Attacks and glitches
- Denial-of-sleep attacks
- Voice and sound attacks
- IoT vulnerabilities
- Glitches and compatibility issues
- Privacy concerns
- Existing standards and regulations
- Proposed standards and legislation
- Firewalls and IDS
Skill Level Intermediate
Raspberry Pi: Home Monitoring and Controlwith David Ross1h 29m Intermediate
Ethical Hacking: Mobile Devices and Platformswith Malcolm Shore1h 47m Intermediate
2. Potential Attacks and Glitches
5. Existing Standards and Regulations
6. Proposed Standards and Legislation
7. Securing IoT Devices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.