Learn about high-profile PII breach cases in the government sector, including OPM and Indiana Motor Vehicles.
- [Instructor] In spite of major initiatives like FISMA,…the Federal Information Security Management Act,…which is part of the Electronic Government Act of 2002,…PII stored at any level of government may be at risk.…The breach of PII databases at the federal…Office of Personnel Management, or OPM,…was discovered in 2015, and indicated that some…22 million records were compromised.…The PII included background information on applicants…looking for security clearances and on their families.…
Anyone who has survived a background check…for classified work, can attest to how comprehensive…that information is, and how sensitive, and high confidence.…Chinese operatives are suspected in this hack.…The PII of six million Georgia voters…was compromised in 2015.…This was another self-inflicted compromise…in which the state inadvertently released PII…to third parties, for example, media and political parties.…Although it is legal in Georgia…to release public voter information,…it is not legal to release PII that contains…
This course was created and produced by Mentor Source, Inc. We are pleased to host this training in our library.
- What is PII?
- Formal and informal capture
- Why is PII protected?
- Legal and regulatory influences
- High-profile PII breach cases: Medical, financial, and educational
- Global differences in PII use
- Protecting PII as an individual
- Best practices for organizations to protect PII