Many IoT devices are small, simple, and are not designed to upgrade. Many have outdated firmware and do not allow for modifications. In addition, the systems may suffer from glitches or bugs, which can result in smart homes—and even smart cities—failing.
- [Woman] Many Iot devices are small and simple,…are unable to upgrade,…have outdated firmware,…and don't allow any modifications.…Currently, there are many challenges in the IoT.…An IoT device is simple, easy to configure,…and implement in your home.…But the end user isn't sure…if something has gone wrong.…As a result, a security breach can last…a long time without detection.…
If one type of a device has flaws,…most likely similar devices…will have the same flaw and can fall victim…to the same types of attacks.…Operating systems are commonly defenseless…and security patches and updates…are not available on many IoT applications.…Simple IoT devices have a long shelf life…and may possibly outlive support for the device.…
In addition, the systems may suffer from glitches…or bugs, which can result in smart homes…and even smart cities failing.…An IoT glitch is a disruption…in the way the device behaves,…in that the device might not work properly…or shut down unexpectedly.…Errors in the operating system,…flaws in the code,…
In this course, join Lisa Bock as she explores the relationship between security, privacy, and the IoT. Lisa discusses how the vulnerabilities in IoT devices have the potential to compromise user privacy and make them more susceptible to attacks and glitches. In addition, she discusses IoT privacy concerns; existing standards, regulations, and guidelines, such as HIPAA and Sarbanes-Oxley; and proposed standards and legislation that are currently in the works to ensure the privacy of the data collected on the IoT.
- Security, privacy, and the IoT
- Attacks and glitches
- Denial-of-sleep attacks
- Voice and sound attacks
- IoT vulnerabilities
- Glitches and compatibility issues
- Privacy concerns
- Existing standards and regulations
- Proposed standards and legislation
- Firewalls and IDS
Skill Level Intermediate
Raspberry Pi: Home Monitoring and Controlwith David Ross1h 29m Intermediate
Ethical Hacking: Mobile Devices and Platformswith Malcolm Shore1h 47m Intermediate
2. Potential Attacks and Glitches
5. Existing Standards and Regulations
6. Proposed Standards and Legislation
7. Securing IoT Devices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.