The European Union implemented the General Data Protection Regulation in May of 2018. This regulation dramatically affected by ability to collect and store private information (which affects the predictive data used by AIs). In addition, it includes a so-called "right to explanation," which may require organizations to (attempt to) explain how their algorithms reach their conclusions, an effort that may be impossible with algorithms like deep learning.
- [Instructor] Let's take a moment to talk about…the history of data accessibility.…At first, data was scarce, hard to find,…few and far between, lots of empty space,…and it made it really hard to do the kind of work…we'd like in machine learning and artificial intelligence.…Then with the advent of social media…and really high levels of online activity,…we got the data fire hose,…more data than we knew what to do with,…where it became a challenge to store…and to do anything with it.…Fortunately, at the same time, we got computing resources…developed to match the exponential growth in the data.…
And that made modern data science, machine learning,…and artificial intelligence possible.…On the other hand, as all this was going on,…some people came to the conclusion…that the gathering and the use of data was out of control.…That led to some important changes in the environment,…the most significant of which…is the recent arrival of the GDPR.…That is the European Union's…General Data Protection Regulation.…It was adopted in April of 2016 and enforced as of May 2018.…
- Bias in AI
- Navigating the social challenges of AI
- Moral reasoning and relational ethics
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and AI
- Discrimination in data
- Liability and AI
- AI in life-and-death situations
- Confronting the challenges of AI as a developer, executive, and consumer
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Context for AI
2. Technical Challenges of AI
3. Social Challenges of AI
4. Legal Challenges of AI
5. Safety Challenges of AI
AI in the military4m 36s
6. Confronting the Challenges of AI
Next steps2m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.