When an organization encounters a risk, it must take some action to help manage that risk. In this video, learn about the five possible risk management actions—risk avoidance, risk transference, risk acceptance, risk mitigation, and risk deterrence—and how organizations can use those strategies to manage risks.
- [Narrator] Once you complete a risk assessment…for your organization, you're left with a prioritized list…of risks that require your attention.…Risk management is the process…of systematically analyzing potential responses…to each risk and implementing strategies…to control those risks appropriately.…No matter what type of risk you're managing,…you have five basic options…for addressing the situation.…You can perform risk avoidance, risk transference,…risk mitigation, risk acceptance, or risk deterrence.…
When you avoid a risk, you change your organization's…business practices so that you are no longer…in a position where that risk can affect your business.…In the last video we performed a risk assessment…of the risk that flooding posed…to an organization's data center.…If we chose to pursue a risk avoidance strategy…for that risk, we might relocate our data center…to a facility where there is no risk of flood damage.…Transferring a risk attempts to shift the impact…of a risk from your organization to another organization.…
Looking for study partners?Join the CISSP Exam study group
Learn about information security and risk management practices needed to complete the first domain of the 2018 Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) exam. CISSP is the industry's gold standard certification, necessary for many mid- and senior-level positions. This course includes coverage of key exam topics from the Security and Risk Management domain: security governance, compliance and policy issues, personnel security, threat modeling, and vendor management. Author Mike Chapple also covers the trifecta of information confidentiality, integrity, and availability. He reviews business continuity and risk management strategies, and highlights the importance of ongoing security awareness and education in any organization.
Find the companion study books at the Sybex test prep site and review the complete CISSP Body of Knowledge at https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx.
Note: This course is part of a series releasing throughout 2018. A complete learning path will be available once all the courses are released.
- Aligning security with the business
- Using control frameworks
- Understanding compliance ethics
- Implementing effective security policies
- Planning for business continuity
- Ensuring the security of employees
- Managing risk
- Identifying threats
- Managing vendors
- Building security awareness
- Conducting security training
Skill Level Advanced
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Security Governance
2. Compliance and Ethics
3. Security Policy
4. Business Continuity
5. Personnel Security
6. Risk Management
7. Threat Modeling
8. Vendor Management
Vendor agreements3m 34s
9. Awareness and Training
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.