Because of the growing number of IoT devices in homes and offices, manufacturers are creating solutions to protect the infrastructure and are including features such as firewalls and IDS.
- [Instructor] For most of the early growth in the IoT,…we didn't incorporate any traditional security methods…such as firewalls and intrusion detection systems.…The belief was these tiny devices were…not an attractive target to hackers,…or they couldn't possibly be susceptible to an attack.…We find the assumptions are incorrect,…and we need more security methods.…IoT devices are small, have minimal processing,…and are not able to defend themselves.…
As a result, they're going to rely on external devices…and appliances such as firewalls…and intrusion detection systems that provide a layer…of defense between the devices and the internet connection.…A firewall is a hardware or software-based tool…that controls incoming and outgoing traffic…based on a set of rules that either permit or deny traffic…on a network or host.…An intrusion detection system…is a software or hardware device…that continuously monitors a system or network…for unusual or suspicious activity.…
IoT security devices have firewall…and intrusion detection system features on one device…
In this course, join Lisa Bock as she explores the relationship between security, privacy, and the IoT. Lisa discusses how the vulnerabilities in IoT devices have the potential to compromise user privacy and make them more susceptible to attacks and glitches. In addition, she discusses IoT privacy concerns; existing standards, regulations, and guidelines, such as HIPAA and Sarbanes-Oxley; and proposed standards and legislation that are currently in the works to ensure the privacy of the data collected on the IoT.
- Security, privacy, and the IoT
- Attacks and glitches
- Denial-of-sleep attacks
- Voice and sound attacks
- IoT vulnerabilities
- Glitches and compatibility issues
- Privacy concerns
- Existing standards and regulations
- Proposed standards and legislation
- Firewalls and IDS
Skill Level Intermediate
Raspberry Pi: Home Monitoring and Controlwith David Ross1h 29m Intermediate
Ethical Hacking: Mobile Devices and Platformswith Malcolm Shore1h 47m Intermediate
2. Potential Attacks and Glitches
5. Existing Standards and Regulations
6. Proposed Standards and Legislation
7. Securing IoT Devices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.