Join Marc Menninger for an in-depth discussion in this video File integrity checking tool demo, part of Performing a Technical Security Audit and Assessment.
- [Instructor] To illustrate how…file integrity checking works, I'll the Hash Tool,…which is a simple, free file hashing utility…from Digital Volcano.…I'll open the Hash Tool and select a file I'd like the tool…to generate a hash for.…This is the hash of the file's contents.…We'll use this as our baseline hash.…Now I'll go into the file and make a small change.…I'll just delete this comma and save the file.…
Now I'll run a validation hash of the file…and see what happens.…We can see that these hashes are completely different…even though I only made a small change.…Now I'll go back into the file and replace the comma.…Then I'll rerun the hash.…Here you can see that by replacing the comma,…the hash is once again the same as the baseline…and I've restored the integrity of the file.…
While you may not use hash tools in exactly this way…to conduct security assessments,…this demo showed you the principle…behind file integrity checking.…
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.