IoT systems can range from controlling home thermostats to military drones. However, the average user has little understanding of the technology. Public awareness on safety and security can be an important first step in securing IoT.
- [Instructor] Important technologies and standards…are all necessary in order to provide end-to-end security…and privacy on the Internet of Things.…Those include firewalls, intrusion detection systems,…antimalware, and blockchains and PUF technology.…However, just as important is user education…and awareness.…As the devices become more and more commonplace,…they'll all begin to blend into the background,…where we will essentially forget about them.…
In addition to the fact that you forgot you had the device,…you'll probably forget that it's possibly insecure.…We need change the mindset of the consumer…because in many ways they don't care about the security…of the devices.…They simply want the convenience.…What's more important, functionality or security?…There are some best practices.…Research before purchasing an IoT device.…Many devices are inexpensive, readily available,…convenient, and fun to use.…
We don't take a lot of time to learn about the privacy…and security threats.…Research to see if others have had security problems…
In this course, join Lisa Bock as she explores the relationship between security, privacy, and the IoT. Lisa discusses how the vulnerabilities in IoT devices have the potential to compromise user privacy and make them more susceptible to attacks and glitches. In addition, she discusses IoT privacy concerns; existing standards, regulations, and guidelines, such as HIPAA and Sarbanes-Oxley; and proposed standards and legislation that are currently in the works to ensure the privacy of the data collected on the IoT.
- Security, privacy, and the IoT
- Attacks and glitches
- Denial-of-sleep attacks
- Voice and sound attacks
- IoT vulnerabilities
- Glitches and compatibility issues
- Privacy concerns
- Existing standards and regulations
- Proposed standards and legislation
- Firewalls and IDS
Skill Level Intermediate
Raspberry Pi: Home Monitoring and Controlwith David Ross1h 29m Intermediate
Ethical Hacking: Mobile Devices and Platformswith Malcolm Shore1h 47m Intermediate
2. Potential Attacks and Glitches
5. Existing Standards and Regulations
6. Proposed Standards and Legislation
7. Securing IoT Devices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.