Many laws in the US (and similar laws elsewhere) forbid the use of certain kinds of information in decision-making about education, housing, mortgages, and so on. Much of the restricted information is demographics. While it is possible to remove explicit demographic references from data, because nearly all human behaviors are associated to some degree with their demographic profiles, AI algorithms may unintentionally (and illegally) reintroduce demographic factors into decision-making.
- [Instructor] Discrimination and bias can show…up in many different places in AI,…in the gathering of data,…and how the data's processed.…And here, in the use of AI, I want to talk…about how that can show up through, for instance,…an over-reliance on packages…that have unchecked bias.…A package is code that you can add…to a program in a language that gives…it extra functionality,…like facial recognition software,…so you don't have to code it from scratch.…There's also the issue of weighting…for rare cases that can produce a form…of confirmation bias.…
And the AI failures for minority groups,…may simply be ignored.…And the AI may be selectively used…or trusted by decision-makers for some groups…of people and not for others.…There's also the issue of the diffusion…of responsibility where it's not clear who's…in charge of this and who needs…to take care of it.…And as ways of dealing with each of these,…I want to show you a couple of organizations…that are trying to tackle these issues head-on.…First of these is the Algorithmic Justice League…
- Bias in AI
- Navigating the social challenges of AI
- Moral reasoning and relational ethics
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and AI
- Discrimination in data
- Liability and AI
- AI in life-and-death situations
- Confronting the challenges of AI as a developer, executive, and consumer
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Context for AI
2. Technical Challenges of AI
3. Social Challenges of AI
4. Legal Challenges of AI
5. Safety Challenges of AI
AI in the military4m 36s
6. Confronting the Challenges of AI
Next steps2m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.