Data security is a complex problem and many different people throughout the organization play a role in data security. In this video, learn how to determine and maintain data ownership and the role of data owners, data stewards, data custodians, system owners, and business or mission owners in the information security process. Additionally, learn about the responsibilities that data owners and processors have regarding information privacy.
- [Narrator] Data security is a complex problem,…and many different people throughout the organization…play a role in protecting information.…Let's take a look at some of the concepts…surrounding data ownership and stewardship.…Data governance in many organizations…follows a three-tiered model of roles.…At the highest level, the data owner…for particular datasets is a senior-level official…who bears overall responsibility for that data.…
The data owner sets policies and guidelines…around data use and data security,…and has the authority to make final decisions…regarding a dataset.…Data owners are usually the business leaders…who have responsibility for the mission area…most closely related to the dataset.…For example, an organization's vice president…for human resources might be the data owner…for employment information.…Practically speaking, most individuals…who are senior enough to hold the position…of data owner do not have the time available…to get involved in the nitty gritty decisions…of data governance.…
Want more CySA+ test prep tips? Visit certmike.com to join Mike's free study group.
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Security governance
- Security roles and responsibilities
- Security policies
- Complying with laws and regulations
- Auditing and assessing security
- Personnel security
- Security training
- Vendor management
Skill Level Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
Implementing an Information Security Programwith Kip Boyle2h 31m Intermediate
1. Security Governance
2. Security Policy
3. Regulatory Compliance
4. Assessing Security Processes
5. Personnel Security
6. Awareness and Training
7. Vendor Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.