In this video, Mandy Huth explores the role of the data protection office under GDPR. Learn what the DPO role requires, its assurance of independence, and the related tasks.
- [Instructor] An organization's ability…to conform to the GDPR lies heavily with the role…of the Data Protection Officer or DPO.…Understanding what a DPO is is critical to identifying…the right person for the role.…Who needs a Data Protection Officer?…The regulation states that any controller or processor…who requires regular and systematic monitoring…of data subjects on a large scale, needs a DPO.…A DPO's primary role is not always a singular role…in that it's not that person's only job.…
Most often, it depends on the size of the organization.…Of important note is that the Data Protection Officer…must report to the highest management level,…and that usually means reporting in to the C-Suite.…When we talk about the appointment…of a Data Protection Officer, we have to look…at their particular knowledge of data protection,…but more importantly, their ability to fulfill duties.…The DPO may be employed or contracted,…but the DPO cannot be a temporary position.…
It's also often a good fit when that person…has a strong understanding of the organization.…
DISCLAIMER: Neither LinkedIn nor the instructor represents you, and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. Certain concepts may not apply in all countries. The views (and legal interpretations) presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- Define the objectives of GDPR relating to the personal privacy of citizens.
- Determine the responsibilities of data protection officers under GDPR.
- Identify the rights of citizens in the event of a data breach.
- Review the steps that must be taken in the event of a data breach.
- Describe the notification process in the event of a data breach.