In this video, Marc Menninger describes the data handling processes an assessor should follow when conducting technical security assessments. Learn about the data lifecycle and how data should be handled throughout all the lifecycle phases.
- Throughout the course of a technical security assessment…the assessment team likely will handle…highly sensitive data, such as, assessment plans,…and rules of engagement, systems-security configurations,…and network documentation, results from testing tools…and other testing techniques, assessment findings…and reports, and remediation recommendations.…The assessors need to follow a disciplined approach…when handling sensitive information to prevent data loss…or a security breach.…
Data handling refers to how data is managed…throughout its entire lifecycle.…The data lifecycle, typically, includes these phases.…Creation, collection, or receipt.…Access, use, or reuse.…Transmission, storage, and disposal.…Explicit instructions for how to handle sensitive data…should be included in the assessment plan…or rules of engagement.…If they aren't, then the assessors should follow…the organization's data-handling rules and policies.…
When data is being transmitted or transferred,…it should be done so that no unauthorized person…
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.