In this video, Marc Menninger describes how to crack passwords. Learn different techniques used in password cracking and the essential tools required to crack passwords. Watch a demonstration of password cracking tool John the Ripper.
- Password cracking is are process of using an application,…called a password cracker, to find user passwords…through various techniques.…The purpose of cracking passwords is to identify instances…of weak passwords, which violate security policies.…Ideally, the assessor…will not be able to crack any passwords,…and if they do, that would become a finding…in their final report.…If you're not familiar with how password generation works,…I recommend watching Lisa Bock's video…Understanding Passwords, Hash, Salt, and Rainbow Tables…in her Essentials of Cryptography…and Network Security course.…
Essentially, password crackers generate hashes…and compare them to hashes obtained by the assessor…until a match is found.…Once a match is found, the password has been cracked.…Password hashes can be found by assessors…in a variety of places, including in system files…like the Windows SAM or Linux Shadow files;…in network or wireless sniffer results;…and in the memory of target systems.…
Password crackers will generate hashes…
- Developing technical security assessments
- Conducting technical security reviews
- Identifying and analyzing targets
- Validating target vulnerabilities
- Planning a technical assessment
- Conducting a technical assessment
- Implementing remediation and mitigation
Skill Level Intermediate
IT Security Careers and Certifications: First Stepswith Marc Menninger2h 6m Appropriate for all
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.