In this video, Mandy Huth talks about the right of correction. Learn about a data subject's right to correct data, how third parties are involved, and the timing to respond.
- [Instructor] Article 16 of the GDPR allows EU subjects the right to rectify inaccurate data. This Article is likely to be used by many data subjects. Data subjects have the right to rectify data that is inaccurate or to have any incomplete data completed. This is done by providing a supplementary statement outlining the requested changes. If the inaccurate information was disclosed to a third party, the controller must inform the third party of that correction where possible.
The controller must also inform the data subject about any third party's (mumbles) data has been disclosed. Controllers have one month to respond to requests. However, an extension to two months can be made for complex requests from the data subject. When there is no action taken by the controller or the controller denies the request, the controller must inform the data subject as to why they did not complete the request and give the data subject information on their right to complain as well as any judicial remedies available to them.
Controllers must correct inaccurate or incomplete information upon request by the data subject.
DISCLAIMER: Neither LinkedIn nor the instructor represents you, and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. Certain concepts may not apply in all countries. The views (and legal interpretations) presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- Compliance deadlines and penalties
- Data controllers and data processors under GDPR
- Exploring the role of the data protection office
- Technical measures outlined in the GDPR
- Reviewing the right to be forgotten and the situations that allow erasure
- Rules for children under the age of 16
- Breach notification