In this video, Marc Menninger describes how to coordinate a technical security assessment. Learn what good coordination means and how it helps the security assessment meet its objectives.
- As I've explained throughout the course,…a security assessment must be coordinated properly.…Coordination of the assessment means working with…all the key players such as management,…system owners, IT, et cetera,…to ensure that all testing activities identified…in the assessment plan are completed.…So what exactly does it mean to coordinate…the assessment well?…Well, if you do it right,…the following things should be evident.…All key players are aware of the assessment plan,…schedule, and impact of the tests which will be conducted.…
Assessors have the privileges and physical access…necessary to complete the security tests.…And appropriate staff within the organization,…the knock, CISO, or other management is informed…in the event that a high severity vulnerability…is found or a security incident occurs or is discovered.…Because of their importance to the organization,…security testing for a mission critical systems…is even more essential.…However, remember that high availability systems…can afford very little or no downtime.…
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.