Understand how individual AWS service console monitoring dashboards relate to CloudWatch tools for all AWS services.
- [Instructor] So, in this section, we're going to look at the different kinds of tools that are available from Amazon for metrics and logging. And we're going to start by completing our tour of console tools. In the previous section, we dug in to the console tools that are available, most notably, the dashboards that expose key metrics that Amazon thinks are going to be of greatest interest to you for some of the core services. So, S3, EC2, so on and so forth. And again, I'll remind you, you always want to take a look at that. In addition to that, Amazon has an all up service that exposes metric and logging information, and it does have an interface in the console.
We're going to start by looking at in the console, it's called Cloud Watch. And then we're going to continue on in this section and look at it through the scripting tools and through programmatic access. So, Cloud Watch allows you to get metrics from the various service logs, and basic metrics are included for the majority of the services. And, as we learned in earlier movies, for some services, such as EC2, there is an option to turn on Advanced Metrics. Now, there's really two aspects of cost to turning on Advanced Metrics.
Of course, Amazon will charge you more, so it should be either just quickly when you're learning, or in a production environment. And in the secondary cost, which is really important, is evaluating and looking at advanced metrics, and figuring out how you're going to respond. Are you going to have a person read that and respond to it? Pretty inefficient. You're probably going to either write some code to automate the responses when the metric values go over certain thresholds, or maybe you'll buy a third-party tool. And as we progress through this course, we'll look at both options.
But to get us started, we're going to go back to the console, and we're going to look at Cloud Watch and see what information is exposed via the console around this core metric and logging service in Amazon.
- Understanding approaches to monitoring
- Matching business application priorities to monitoring approaches
- Tools for monitoring and logging
- Monitoring core AWS Services
- Using CloudFormation templates
- Monitoring S3, EC2, Lambda, RDS, Kinesis, and EMR
- Using core AWS tools for metrics and logging
- Using AWS services for advanced monitoring