In this video, Marc Menninger describes how to conduct system configuration reviews. Learn how system configuration reviews help to identify incorrect or missing system settings which could lead to security vulnerabilities.
- The purpose of system-configuration reviews is…to identify incorrect or missing system settings…which could lead to security vulnerabilities.…Systems which adhere to strong security standards…are considered hardened,…and security assessments can be used to determine…if their configurations are adequate.…Examples of poor system hardening are configurations…which don't reflect the organization's security standards,…such as, when the security standards say screenlocks…should activate after 15 minutes,…but some systems don't have screenlocks enabled.…
Weak password and account settings, such as,…systems which allow short, simple, or dictionary passwords.…Unnecessary or unmanaged services, such as,…the file transfer protocol running…on systems that aren't FTP servers.…And, inadequate logging, such as,…systems that aren't logging at all,…or the logs don't capture or retain enough information.…An assessor should start system-configuration reviews…by itemizing all configuration requirements defined…by the organization's security standards and policies.…
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.