In this video, Marc Menninger describes how to conduct penetration testing. Learn the four stage methodology and the four key objectives of penetration testing. Discover various guides and software tools helpful for conducting penetration testing successfully.
- I've been referring to penetration testing…quite a bit throughout the course.…Let's get down to what it is and how we can use it.…Penetration testing validates target vulnerabilities…by attempting to exploit those vulnerabilities…and gain unauthorized access.…Penetration tests, which are sometimes called Pen Tests,…or ethical hacking, build on the information gathered…during the discovery and vulnerability scanning stages.…Pen tests are an important part of the security assessment,…because they are the ultimate demonstration…of existing security weaknesses.…
They simulate how an actual attacker…would identify and possibly exploit vulnerabilities.…Pen Tests typically follow a four-stage methodology.…Gather data/planning, Discovery/vulnerability analysis,…Attempt exploits, and Reporting/remediation.…The Gather Data and Planning stage aligns closely…with the technical security assessment reviews,…and planning technical security assessments…chapters in this course.…
This is where an assessor will determine which systems…
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.