In this video, Marc Menninger describes how to conduct network sniffing. Learn how to use Wireshark, the network sniffing tool to capture and analyze the traffic. Discover the various techniques and tools related to network sniffing.
- [Instructor] Network sniffing is a method of capturing…and analyzing network traffic to collect and review…information contained in network packets,…discover active devices,…identify operation systems, application, services,…and protocols,…and uncover potential security vulnerabilities.…Network sniffing is both a review technique…and a target analysis and identification technique.…
Let's consider network sniffing as a review technique.…Network sniffers are a most commonly software tools…installed on laptops or network appliances.…They must be deployed by someone familiar with the network…to ensure that targeted traffic gets captured.…This process usually involves connecting the sniffer…to a hub or switch where all traffic is copied…to a single port also known as port spanning.…Because network sniffing is a passive activity,…it should have little or no impact on systems or networks.…
When it comes to capturing and analyzing network traffic…the effort would be ptactically impossible…without specialized tools like dsniff, Ettercap,…
- Developing technical security assessments
- Conducting technical security reviews
- Identifying and analyzing targets
- Validating target vulnerabilities
- Planning a technical assessment
- Conducting a technical assessment
- Implementing remediation and mitigation
Skill Level Intermediate
IT Security Careers and Certifications: First Stepswith Marc Menninger2h 6m Appropriate for all
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.