In this video, Marc Menninger describes how to conduct file integrity checking. Discover how techniques like hashing can confirm a file's integrity. Learn how to use hash tools and scripts to check the integrity of files.
- There are many types of files that should only change…under specific authorized circumstances.…For instance, entries in an accounting ledger program…should only be changed by members of the accounting team…when they are making valid business updates.…While most file changes are a part of doing business,…some can be malicious, such as when someone…deliberately manipulates or destroys file data.…File changes can also be an indication of malware,…since certain viruses will make changes to…system or configuration files.…
In addition, file changes can be accidental…in cases of human error or data corruption.…For any of these scenarios, an organization would want…to know if and when data is changing in sensitive…or important files without proper authorization.…That's where file integrity checking comes in.…The best way to check file integrity…is by using software which can hash files.…Hashing is a form of encryption…which takes a digital fingerprint, or checksum,…of a file and its contents.…
If even a single character is changed,…
- Developing technical security assessments
- Conducting technical security reviews
- Identifying and analyzing targets
- Validating target vulnerabilities
- Planning a technical assessment
- Conducting a technical assessment
- Implementing remediation and mitigation
Skill Level Intermediate
IT Security Careers and Certifications: First Stepswith Marc Menninger2h 6m Appropriate for all
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.