In this video, Marc Menninger describes the purpose of documentation reviews. Learn how to conduct documentation reviews properly as an important part of performing technical security assessments.
- The purpose of documentation reviews is to determine…if key security documents are current,…accurate, and complete.…This is an important step of the security assessment…but it is often skipped in favor of the more interesting…technical testing techniques.…Security documentation is the foundation…of any good security program.…Poorly written or missing documentation may be an indication…of poorly applied or missing security controls.…
One of the first things you should ask for…in a security assessment is all the relevant documentation.…If it takes a long time for the documentation…to be delivered, that may indicate that the documentation…is not easily available to the IT or security staff…who need it the most.…Documentation you request may include security policies,…standards, processes, and procedures,…system security plans and configuration instructions,…network architectures and diagrams,…incident response plans,…and evidence of third-party testing or certifications.…
Assessors can measure an organization's documentation…
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.