While most of the laws related to information security fall into the categories of civil and administrative law, occasionally we cross paths with criminal law. In this video, learn about criminal laws that apply to information security, including the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA), and the Identity Theft and Assumption Deterrence Act.
- [Instructor] While most of the laws related…to information security fall into the categories…of civil and administrative law,…occasionally, we cross paths with criminal law.…Cases of information theft, system intrusion,…identity theft, and other crimes are harmful to society…and may trigger criminal sanctions.…The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, or CFAA,…is a criminal law that makes it a federal offense…to engage in many types of hacking activity.…
Specifically, the CFAA prohibits unauthorized access…to any computer system that is engaged…in interstate commerce, and that basically applies…to any computer system that exists.…CFAA also prohibits the creation of malicious code…that might cause damage to a protected computer system.…There are many nuances to this law,…but the bottom line is that CFAA…makes hacking a criminal offense,…punishable by fine and/or imprisonment.…
The Electronic Communications Privacy Act, or ECPA,…restricts the government interception…of communications and stored information.…That includes telephone calls,…
Find the companion study books at the Sybex test prep site and review the complete CISSP Body of Knowledge at https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx.
Note: This course is part of a series releasing throughout 2018. A complete learning path will be available once all the courses are released.
- Aligning security with the business
- Using control frameworks
- Understanding compliance ethics
- Implementing effective security policies
- Planning for business continuity
- Ensuring the security of employees
- Managing risk
- Identifying threats
- Managing vendors
- Building security awareness
- Conducting security training
Skill Level Advanced
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Security Governance
2. Compliance and Ethics
3. Security Policy
4. Business Continuity
5. Personnel Security
6. Risk Management
7. Threat Modeling
8. Vendor Management
Vendor agreements3m 34s
9. Awareness and Training
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.