While most of the laws related to information security fall into the categories of civil and administrative law, occasionally we cross paths with criminal law. In this video, learn about criminal laws that apply to information security including the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (or CFAA), the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (or ECPA), and the Identity Theft and Assumption Deterrence Act.
- [Instructor] While most of the laws related…to information security fall into the categories…of civil and administrative law.…Occasionally, we cross paths with criminal law.…Cases of information theft, system intrusion,…identity theft, and other crimes are harmful…to society and may trigger criminal sanctions.…The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act…or CFAA.…It's a criminal law that makes it a federal offense…to engage in many types of hacking activity.…
Specifically, the CFAA prohibits unauthorized access…to any computer system that is engaged…in interstate commerce, and that basically applies…to any computer system that exists.…CFAA also prohibits the creation…of malicious code that might cause damage…to a protected computer system.…There are many nuances to this law,…but the bottom line is that CFAA makes hacking a criminal…offense punishable by fine and…or imprisonment.…
The Electronic Communications Privacy Act…or ECPA restricts the government interception…of communications and stored information.…That includes telephone calls,…
Want more CySA+ test prep tips? Visit certmike.com to join Mike's free study group.
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Security governance
- Security roles and responsibilities
- Security policies
- Complying with laws and regulations
- Auditing and assessing security
- Personnel security
- Security training
- Vendor management
Skill Level Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
Implementing an Information Security Programwith Kip Boyle2h 31m Intermediate
1. Security Governance
2. Security Policy
3. Regulatory Compliance
4. Assessing Security Processes
5. Personnel Security
6. Awareness and Training
7. Vendor Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.