Micromanaging the release of information to professionals in IT is demonstrated to add to costs and take away from productivity in this business scenario.
- [Instructor] There is one more point that I would like…to make in this introductory chapter,…and that is the importance of communicating the big picture…when you bring IT into strategic discussions.…I'm going to demonstrate this principle…with a case scenario that I'm going to use…throughout the remainder of the course.…From here out, let's say we're running a publishing company…that puts out several different magazines…in multiple genres.…We have a pop culture magazine for teenagers,…a home improvement line of publications,…and two or three interior design and decor magazines.…
Following a board meeting,…the CEO of our publication company…calls the top of the IT food chain in…to tell him that we need a mobile app to deliver content.…A general description of the interface is given,…along with a deadline to bring back a proposal.…That seems like a very specific request.…It doesn't appear to micromanage the developers.…It doesn't remove artistic license from the designer,…but it also doesn't really allow for success.…
- Including IT in strategy
- What does IT bring to strategy?
- Communicating the big picture
- Selecting and evaluating the effectiveness of training and development activities
- Choosing the right hardware, platforms, and applications
- Who owns the devices?
- Site planning
- External and internal connectivity