This video covers defining cloud network security.
- [Instructor] So let's talk about cloud network security. So what's important here is that the network is the first line of defense for your cloud-based systems. So, ultimately, we're securing the network because we're trying to keep out people who are unauthorized to get into the cloud-based system to have even a try at accessing the lines of defense that are bound to our database systems and our compute systems and our storage systems. So this is, in essence, keeping people out of the network, which keeps them out of the core systems in the cloud. So there needs to be a plan as well as technology.
You can't approach security by throwing tools at this or technology at this. This really becomes, what are my security requirements, what role does the network play, how do those requirements translate into particular kinds of technology? Network security needs to be systemic with cloud security. So, ultimately, seek additional information. So, ultimately, this is not standalone security, having your network secure; this is about network security working and playing well with cloud-based security, enterprise-based security, basically any security system that you're dealing with is part of your computing systems.
So in network security, we have identity, which is the ability to take a look at people who are authenticating themselves to the network. What identity do they have and are they authorized to access the network? And are we able to, in essence, validate who they are or what they are? Encryption, the ability to, in essence, block people from seeing information that's flowing across the network. Trending, the ability to look proactively at what's going on within the network itself, in terms of people who are accessing the same IP addresses or domain name services, in essence, coming from outside the country or from something that we find suspicious in terms of trying to get into the network.
And then management, the ability to, in essence, proactively block people who are trying to access the system who are unauthorized. The ability to manage encryption and performance around encryption. The ability to deal with the trending of the systems, logging the information, putting it into a database. All those things are extremely important.
- Internal and external cloud network requirements
- Moving networking to the cloud
- Considering cloud network performance
- Troubleshooting a cloud network
- AWS, Azure, and Google cloud networking
- Picking your cloud networking solution
- Planning for your cloud network
- Testing and operating your cloud network