Learn how operations deals with governance.
- [Instructor] So let's talk about the final step, Cloud governance operations. It's the final, but it's the longest step because we're going to be living with this cloud governance stuff for years and years and years, so it's the longest part of the process considering that operations will be ongoing. So this need to be an iterative process; In other words, we need to constantly improve operations. This is not about writing a set of static policies and procedures that goes in the hands of somebody who is charged with operating the particular cloud governance system.
And doing it ongoing, this is about them being empowered to improve and constantly change tool sets, constantly change processes, and constantly adapt around the changing nature of the cloud based systems and it's going to change all the time. It's not going to look the same in five years as it looks now. So make sure you can live with the ultimate solution. So understand that you're going to provide, not only a set of tools that goes into operations in the hands of the operators, but they need to understand that we're going to create a constant improving kind of scenario that may need to live-in as well.
So cloud governance operations is kind of tricky, so while everything was very short term and had Hawk understand your requirements, finding the right tools, testing cloud governance. Cloud governance operations is real jobs and in other words, someone has to sit down and operate the governance platforms, write the policies, maintain the policies, maintain the inner dependencies, understand the direct re-services, understand how it related to security and all those things have to be taken care of. So the tips I have for you, make sure you write operation polices and processes.
Who does what and when? It needs to be written down. I think that if it is something that we're going to turn over to somebody, it's going to be ignored and less, especially if it's spoken, unless it's written down and they can see it and use it as a checklist. You need to integrate this operations process with other operations processes, such as security, performance, SLA management, cost management, etc. So cloud governance is not somebody sitting in a room and that's all they do, they need to work and play well with the folks who are doing security operations, SLA management, cost management, anything and everything that has to do with operating that cloud.
And again, this should be a continuously improving process and as you iterate things should improve. So this is empowering the person who's doing the operation to actually stopping things from occurring and backing up and fixing things ongoing. So this is constantly improving upon the tool sets, the technology, the processes, how we're dealing with governance, and also as governance changes, what requirements need to be changed and what tool sets and technology need to be applied to take care of those requirements.
- Cloud governance basics
- Cloud resource governance
- How cloud security and governance are linked
- Defining governance policies
- Cloud management platform basics
- Reviewing service governance tools
- Cloud governance costs
- Understanding your requirements
- Finding the right tools
- Testing cloud governance
- How operations deals with governance